Friday, June 3, 2016

Regina Shen: Resilience by Lance Erlick


Title: Resilience
Series: Regina Shen #1
Author: Lane Erlick

Amazon  (only .99!!!!)

RATING: 5 STARS!!!!!

Abrupt climate change melted ice caps and flooded coasts. Regina Shen is an outcast condemned to live on the seaward side of barrier walls. A hurricane threatens to destroy Regina’s world, tearing her from sister, mom, and home.

The World Federation’s notorious Department of Antiquities polices barrier walls and suppresses knowledge from the past. Regina thrives on salvage from sunken cities, including illegal print books from before the Federation. With photographic memory, she defies Antiquities by reading books not available in the Federation. Antiquities claims Regina has unique DNA that could single-handedly stop human extinction. It's too bad she doesn't trust them enough to barter fairly, let alone with her life.

As the storm worsens, Antiquities and their allies doggedly pursue Regina. Does she have the resilience to survive the storm and avoid capture while hunting for family?

~ MY THOUGHTS! ~

I knew instantly that this was going to be a favorite series of mine. I loved Regina straight from the get go, and the plot was seriously made for me. This covers many buzzwords for me, a few being DNA, environmental collapse, climate change. When I got the email asking for sign ups, I didn't even hesitate, because it had it all. And I am so glad I was chosen! I honestly haven't read a book from this iRead Tours that I haven't liked, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Regina was such an awesome character. I felt that she portrayed so much that many authors like to hide about characters, the human side. She was a young teenager, living in a tough time, and she rose to the challenge, but at times you could still see that 15 year old shining through. And I loved that aspect. It's nice, and it brings the story to a grounded level, one that as a reader I can connect with. So that small writing of Regina made this story click in so many ways. I just loved it that much more.

The plot of this book was perfect. It has Regina on the run from a Department of Antiquities officer due to Regina's special DNA. This entire part of the book had me completely enthralled, and I can't wait to find out more. It's a storyline that, personally, I haven't seen done. And done this well. Lance Erlick really knows how to keep the story moving, but at the same time giving the reader enough information that they aren't fumbling along.

This book takes the much used dystopian trope and gives it a new set of wings. I think Lance Erlick did a fantastic job spinning a unique tale, and once that I can't wait to continue one with. I am so glad I have book two waiting and ready to be started!

1 comment: